Re: Hair-Motivated Video Acquisitions?

by heavenlyStrands

I believe there are many members in this club. I, for instance, have around 100GB of videos (movies & tv shows) just to extract hair related parts! There's just way too much content that I'm struggling to keep up.

Wanna throw some examples, just in case if it helps others find good content:

1. I'm a big fan of Amanda Seyfried. (Gone, Letters to Juliet are pure gold. Sliky, golden long mane!)

2. Anna Chlumsky - Such volume. Just gorgeous hair. Check out Veep.

3. Emily Procter - very enviable hair. Straight, blonde, great volume - kinda dream hair. Her episodes in The West Wing are just plain gold. First noticed her in Friends episode where Joey dresses up as a cowboy in a department store. She played a brief role as an employee.

4. Allie DeBerry - for a while she had hip length hair and it was just gorgeous. Recently downloaded some crap movies just for her.

5. Shailene Woodley - another enviable hair until she cut it. Seriously check out The Spectacular Now & White Bird in a Blizzard - her hair is phenomenal to say the least. Also, they're decent movies as well.

6. Ali Larter - she's just so sexy with a great mane - full of volume. Again, had to download some crap movies just to get some screencaps.

7. Nastassja Kinski - just look at scenes from Paris, Texas (1984) to see what I mean. Ungodly beautiful blonde hair. There's a weird club like scene which is one of the best clips I've ever seen.

8. Michelle Trachtenberg - first noticed her in Eurotrip (great hair there). Now I've got some episodes of Buffy series to extract her content.

9. Katee Sackhoff - great bob length hair in Don't Knock Twice (garbage movie)

10. Abby Champion - amazing model. Check out her fashion walks & workout videos on YT. She's got really gorgeous hair.

The above is just the top of my head. There's just way too much content in my library and many are solely devoted to our passion.

===============================================================

Bonus tip:

I wrote a simple bash script to extract screencaps from a video at set intervals - very handy if you need to analyze a lot of videos to narrow down the best parts. Here it is. Just change the "interval" variable to desired seconds at which to take screencap.

- You need ffmpeg installed.

- This script will go through all the videos in the dir where you run it and for each video make a dir and dump screencaps in it.

- It's not rigorously tested for many file name cases. So keep them simple and avoid things like spaces, illegal characters etc.

- This method uses exact seek to vastly speed up the process.

#!/bin/bash

# at what interval to extract frames, in seconds

interval=30

for file in *; do

nameWithoutExtension="${file%.*}"

extension="${file##*.}"

if [ $extension == 'mp4' ] || [ $extension == 'mkv' ] || [ $extension == 'avi' ]; then

mkdir "$nameWithoutExtension"

file_duration=$(ffprobe -v error -show_entries format=duration -of default=noprint_wrappers=1:nokey=1 "$file")

loop_end=$(echo $file_duration/$interval | bc)

for ((i = 1; i